This gluten-free, creamy chicken pasta is a winner in our home.
It’s quick to make, requires very few dishes and the taste can be jazzed up for adults (red pepper flakes – yum!) or kept to a minimum for more sensitive tastebuds.
It makes a lot, and the leftovers can be reheated the next day for a delicious lunch at home or in a thermos.
Gluten-Free Creamy Chicken Pasta – What You Will Need:
Gather up the following to make this delicious creamy chicken pasta:
- Chicken – breast or thigh is fine for this recipe.
- Gluten-free penne – I’ve used Barilla GF Penne here
- Butter – oil can be used instead
- Garlic – fresh or jar works well.
- Gluten-free cornflour/cornstarch – used to thicken the sauce a little.
- Parmesan cheese – or any other cheese to your taste
- Chives and/or parsley to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
Creamy Chicken Penne
- 450 g /1 lb chicken, diced
- 340 g /12 oz gluten-free penne I've used Barilla GF Penne for this
- 30 g butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic (minced or crushed)
- 1 tbsp gluten-free cornflour/cornstarch
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1.5 cups cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- chives, parsley to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil a large pot of water, salt and add penne. Cook until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large pan and melt butter, add garlic and onion until lightly brown.
- Add diced chicken, stir to combine and allow to brown.
- In a small bowl, make a cornflour/cornstarch mix by adding a tablespoon of milk and creating a thick paste. Add this to the chicken in the pan, then add cream and any remaining milk.
- Stir continuously until the sauce has thickened. You can add more milk here if the sauce is too thick.
- Add parmesan cheese, season with salt and pepper and allow chicken to cook fully.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and gently combine and coat the penne with the sauce.
- Top with parsley, chives and/or chili flakes (as shown in picture bottom left)
- This dish is very versatile – you can:
- add diced bacon at the same time as the onion,
- mix through baby spinach at the end,
- mix through cut cherry tomatoes, fresh basil etc.
- spice it up with red pepper flakes.
This recipe can be kept in the fridge for up to two days, just be sure to thoroughly reheat any leftovers due to the chicken and cream components of this dish. I haven’t tried freezing it, as it never lasts that long in our home.
It’s super easy, we hope you enjoy it!
For more gluten-free meal ideas, check out: