These egg cups with bread are a great way to use up leftover gluten free bread. Because that gluten free bread is too expensive to be wasting, right?!
These toast cups were a quick and nutritious way to use up the end of a loaf of bread and to provide a filling after school snack for my bunch. They would make a great gluten-free breakfast full of protein or a handy lunch-box snack too.
Ingredients To Make GF Toast Cups
While this recipe can be doubled, I've made this today based on me having 6 pieces of bread to use up. The ham and corn could be substituted for bacon, a little spinach or sausage meat if that's what you have in the fridge.
Here's what I've used:
- Gluten-free bread
- Corn Kernels
- Salt & Pepper
Because you lightly 'bake' the bread first, it creates a crispy, toasty 'cup' with which we add the 'quiche-like' mixture into before baking it altogether. Therefore, no soggy bread, but a crispy, eggy delight!
Toast Cups with Gluten-Free Bread
- 6 pieces gluten free bread
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 50 g ham diced
- 50 g corn kernels
- ⅓ cup cheese grated/shredded
- Preheat oven to 175C/350F and grease a 6-hole muffin pan.
- Remove the crust from the bread and roll each slice flat with a rolling pin.
- Using a round cutter (slightly bigger than the muffin hole), cut out a circle in each bread slice. Press each circle into the muffin holes.
- Bake the bread base for 3 minutes in the oven to 'toast' the bread and ensure a crispy 'cup'.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the ham, corn and cheese to the mixture and mix well.
- Pour evenly between the 6 'toast cups' and return to the oven for 20 minutes, or until egg is cooked and toast is lightly golden.
- This recipe can easily be doubled, depending on how many you're serving or how many slices of bread you have.
We hope you enjoy these egg and ham toast cups. For similar recipes, be sure to check out:
- Zucchini Bites – Gluten Free, Easy & Delicious
- Apple Banana Strawberry Smoothie – A Winner For Picky Eaters!
These were great. I only had 3 slices of bread to use so I halved the rest of the ingredients and they turned out really good. Will make a full batch next time.